My name is Helen and the reason I put this website together, with the support of others, is to raise awareness around the world about Hormone (Endocrine) and Allergy/Atopy. The information provided on this website is for men, women, and children. Awareness about possible Hormone Allergy is growing as more people report it.
This website is also to provide information and to disseminate (spread) research on a range of hormone and atopic conditions, and possible associated conditions.
The hormone system and the immune system is considered to be closely linked and work together for homeostasis, otherwise known as internal balance.
I am interested in the effects on the body and brain due to chemical imbalances such as that relating to hormones, neurotransmitters, and enzymes. As well as amines of the brain including histamine involved in allergy and atopy.
I myself have a family history of hormone and atopy problems, including hay fever, asthma, food allergies/food sensitivities, and skin sensitivities. It took me many years to piece together that this was the reason behind illness in my family and the consequences of not understanding felt like being in a dark tunnel.
Suggested reading: A Clock with Bells and Butterflies, Helen Marsh, Amazon Kindle Store ebook, September 2017.
The Thyroid gland is considered to be a Butterfly shaped gland.
I finally obtained my Mother’s health notes which are extensive, in the new millennium after the 1990s, and was able to see a hormone and atopic picture and along with this her offspring were developing the same or similar conditions. By chance after 2010 I was also to have contact with others which helped to affirm that hormone and atopy may often co-exist within an individual or family. The Autoimmune group appears wide and also appears to come in different patterns or examples and rarely does an individual or family seem identical and perhaps this is why so much more research is needed for these conditions which can be both overwhelming and all-consuming.
Both my parents suffered as a consequence of my Mother having hormone and atopic problems, and my Father often struggled to work and care for both his wife who was not always fully functioning, as well as his children who had a Mother who was at times apathetic through no fault of her own. This website is dedicated to them in memory of their unsettled lives spanning decades and the name ‘Aldris’ is a combination of their forenames, and it is also for them for their endurance in the face of adversity and misfortune whereby my Mother had an impairment and my Father was her Caregiver.
Please see the Carer’s Trust Charity and Carers.org if you are in need of support – Carers and those they care for especially with stigmatised conditions.
My Mother had blood tests during pregnancies, which showed anaemia, however she was not given a full blood test for around thirty years whilst under the care of psychiatric services as well as other services and when she finally did her thyroid levels were deranged which may explain why she was often tired and cold with achy legs for many years. I now know that underactive thyroid disease in particular may come with depression, psychosis, and early onset dementia if left undiagnosed and untreated over time. My Mother eventually did receive thyroxine which her body must have been craving, but it is difficult to tell how long her mind and body was ‘craving for thyroxine’. Over decades my Mother was given an array of mental health drugs and ECT treatment for depression and psychosis as well as being labelled with other disorders that are questionable. In time I was to also learn about thyroid disease and hallucinations and that cardiovascular disease may also be involved with hormone (endocrine) disorders and my Mother developed cardiovascular disease with vascular dementia and renal failure. My Mother was also diagnosed with Myxedema. Please see the following links:
*New Guidelines for diagnosis and treatment of thyroid disease during pregnancy and postpartum, 9/1/2017, You & Your Hormones website (Society for Endocrinology).*
- Menstrual Sadness Syndrome.
- The Butterfly Scheme – reaching out to people with memory loss.
- Latex Allergy and Latex Food Syndrome with Cannabis/Marijuana grass intolerance – effects on the mind.
- Schizophrenia: The Latex Allergy Hypothesis, by Harold D Foster PhD.
- Alzheimer’s News – drug may halt early stages of memory loss as brain proteins cleared away.
- TSH (thyroid) and histamine (allergy) – amines and the brain.
- Insulin (diabetes) and histamine (allergy) – amines and the brain,
- Hypothyroidism presenting as psychosis: Myxedema madness by TW Heinrich, 2003.
- Thyroid disease and Hallucinations. Hypothyroidism and Hallucinations.
- Thyroid dysfunction and mental disorders – Thyroid Foundation.
- Thyromind website – psychiatric disorders or neurological/endocrine disorders?
- The psychiatric disorders – which accompany hypo and hyper thyroid disease, losing touch with reality and becoming delirious or hallucinating. Psychiatric disorders or neurological/endocrine disorders?
- Thyroid diseases and the central nervous system.
- Thyroid Dysfunction and Mental Disorders by Elnasser Elmaghraby. 15/3/16.
- Hypothyroidism: An Important Diagnostic Consideration for the Psychiatrist – includes myxedema madness.
- Do we need psychiatric units or neurological/endocrine units?
- Should people have the right to choose treatment by a neurologist rather than a psychiatrist, with its age old stigma, if they have a problem with their mind and thought processes/behaviour?
Collectively my maternal family pattern or example includes:
- Pernicious anaemia (refer to connection of PA to thyroid disease and gluten protein disorder).
- Hypoactive (underactive) and hyperactive (overactive) thyroid disease, which includes a non-typical type with symptoms of both hyper and hypo thyroidism.
- Thyroid Nodules (refer to thyroid nodules and Premenstrual Syndrome).
- Severe Premenstrual syndrome (also refer to associated conditions).
- Baby Blues
- Atopy of various kinds.
- Cardiovascular disease.
- Hyperhidrosis of the hands and feet (see nervous system and connection to thyroid disease).
- Pes Cavus (paternal side not maternal side).
- Learning differences, including dyslexia and Asperger’s syndrome (Autism).
Please refer to the Immune System Section on this site regarding Latex Allergy and Latex Fruit/ Food Syndrome.
Latex Allergy and Latex Fruit/Food syndrome – Marijuana and Psychosis.
I could explain to you more about various hormone disorders, protein disorders, atopic disorders, and other disorders that exist but I feel that you may wish to undertake most of your own learning and research so have decided to add some links, references, and key words that I have discovered over time which may be useful.
Whether you are male or female you might want to see all the sections on this site as they may cross reference and may also give insight into various health problems which you are not aware of – during my lifetime I have come across many people with various health problems and have often held my breath for something better for them and for myself when research has not advanced…Please donate to a charity mentioned on this website.
This may not refer to you but I would like to suggest that you look at these links on the internet to help you understand possible relationships of hormone and allergy. Both male and female offspring of women with hormone problems may have atopy:
- Premenstrual Syndrome and Atopy by A Atton-chamla 1980 (reactive allergy): a double-blind clinical evaluation of treatment with a gamma-globulin/histamine complex.
- Asthma and Atopy: endocrine or metabolic conditions? L Forbes 2005.
- Diagnosis and management of premenstrual syndrome – metaphysics and premenstrual disorders. Dr Malcolm John Dixon, BMJ, 3/6/2011, refers to Pluto and the scepticism about illness that cannot be seen through diagnostic testing that has been developed so far.
- Managing menstrual problems of girls with disabilities presents medical dilemma. Professor Anne Garden, 23/4/2013.
- Premenstrual Syndrome Genes 2007 and 2017.
Please see symptoms of PMS in the Hormone Changes section on this website.
Courtesy of the National Endocrine and Metabolic Diseases Information Service:
- Thyroid axis function during the menstrual cycle in women with premenstrual syndrome. gov. Psychoneuroendocrinology, 1995. Girdler, Pedersen, Light. Susan Girdler’s team were also involved in discovering the PMS gene in 2007 and I am not keen on the term PMDD as myself and other women did not have depression and rather euphoria/hysteria was experienced.
- Thyroid function in women with premenstrual syndrome. gov. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1993. Schmidt, Grover, Roy-Byrne, Rubinow.
- Thyroid function and treatment in premenstrual syndrome, 1990. PubMed, Nicoli, Mulligan, Gribble, Harkins, Melar, Roberts.
Animals in our world never fail to amaze me and I have seen how animals help humans in many ways. From the pollination of plants humans eat to survive, to the comfort they give us without question, and the things that they sense we need when we cannot such as working dogs.
No animal in our universe should be mistreated, whether intentional or not. Pets are often chosen by humans without choice and whilst the owner or owners are trying to figure them out, the pet is trying to figure them out and miss-communication can occur. How can you blame a dog for using the kitchen as a toilet whilst you were out at work for too long or others in the house went to bed and did not let them out beforehand…whatever pet you have make sure you take the time to understand what it needs in your care and do not allow it to be mentally or physically abused, misunderstood, needlessly blamed, lonely, excluded, bored, fearful, and make sure it has adequate exercise, food, water, medical attention, place to sleep, space to roam without being stuck in a cage or tank, and make sure the environment in which they are expected to live is not a stressful and hostile environment and allow them a quiet area to escape from noise if they need to. If you remove a puppy or kitten from its litter and they no longer have their parent or sibling(s) you are replacing them so they will need you to interact with them in many ways such as through play. A puppy may need adequate socialization in your home and community before the age of three months old and if that key time is missed your puppy may have problems…try asking your local veterinary staff for advice before getting a pet or ask them for advice if you have any problems understanding your pet.
Please see the following links on the internet:
- Pet respect.
- Captive Animals Protection Society.
- Action against cruelty to animals.
- Dogs Trust.
- Four Paws UK.
- Cat’s Protection.
- Service dogs in the UK and Europe.
- Guide dogs for the blind.
- Medical detection and bio-detection dogs.
- Diabetic and epilepsy dogs.
- Seizure detecting cats.
- Avalanche and snow dogs.
- Born free foundation.
- UK world animal protection (WSPA).
- Blue cross.
- Animal shelters in your area.
- The donkey and mule sanctuary.
- Brooke Action for working horses and donkeys.
- Animal aid.
- Compassion in world farming.
- Rescue dog to super dog.
- Humane Society International.
- Other animal protection charities not mentioned on this website.
It is unfortunate that animals have to be experimented on in order to help humans combat diseases and think of the sacrifice that is made in order for this to happen.